Saturday, February 28, 2009

Bone Parade - Bone Parade (C)

First, I’d like to throw a shout-out to some pretty sweet cover art on this album. I can’t explain what it is that I like so much about it, it’s just well-done and fitting to the CD inside. Bone Parade’s self-titled EP contains four tracks, two studio recordings, and two live recordings. The music is very minimal - steady drum beats overtop a grimy sounding bass, piano, and some chilling vocals. The intended impact of the music is very effective, conjuring images of a sort of a post-siege Rome through its lamentation. When I had first heard Bone Parade’s music I had been a bit skeptical of the vocals in combination with the music, but I almost immediately realized that this is how it had to be. Both singers bring equal amounts of depth to each song, committing themselves fully to the performance and energy needed. I love every piece on this album individually, but I also feel that the the major failing in this album is too much similarity in the structure at the core of most of the songs. With a bit more variation in the steady, war-drum-like bass & percussion combo (A great tool once, but it becomes gimmicky after a while), Bone parade could go from another interesting band to doing something really spectacular.

Highlight tracks: Harvester’s Hymn (Live)
http://www.myspace.com/boneparade

No comments: